If you are called for jury duty, please do the following:
1. Return the bottom portion of your Summons to the Court right away.
2. Please call the business day before prior to reporting for jury duty because (1) cases frequently settle out of court before their trial dates, and (2) often the court does not need as many jurors as it has originally summoned. To find out if you must still report for jury duty, call (843) 255-5700 for Beaufort Magistrate or (843)255-5610 for Bluffton Magistrate. Please have the date you are summon for available.
3. Arrive at court 15 minutes early so that you may be checked in prior to the beginning of the trial.
4. Track your mileage one way to Court.
5. Be sure to turn off your cell phone and other electronic devices prior to entering the courtroom. These items may not be used for the duration of the trial.
6. No food or drinks allowed in the courtroom.
7. Jurors are paid $10.00 per day of service plus mileage at the standard rate. Checks will be mailed to jurors between the 1st and 10th of the month following the month of service.
Jury Duty Scam:
Please be aware of a Jury Duty Scam currently affecting South Carolina residents. There have been recent reports of residents being called by individuals claiming to be court officers or law enforcement officers stating a warrant has been issued for your failure to appear for jury duty. These individuals will attempt to verify your personal information and/or tell you that the warrant can be taken care of by paying a fine with your credit card or by obtaining a pre-paid debt card. The public is urged to report these calls to local law enforcement.
Do not give out any sensitive personal information. Court officials will not ask for money over the phone. All Beaufort County Courts notify residents by mail if they are selected for jury duty, or if they have missed jury duty.