A. GENERAL GUIDELINES:
1. Plats must meet State of South Carolina Standards for Plats & Surveys, and must meet all applicable Laws, Regulations and Standards at the time of recording, and must be complete and accurate depiction's of conditions at the time of recording. See County Ordinance No. 95-4.
2. Although Plats are not required to be filed with other Documents for Property ID purposes under general recording acceptance guidelines, in accordance with Beaufort County Development Standards Ordinance (99-4), recordation of any document which subdivides property anywhere in Beaufort County must be accompanied by a plat as defined herein. Both the deed, or other instrument transferring interest in real property, and the required plat must be approved in advance by the appropriate planning agency of the county or municipality in which the property lies.
3. All Plats must be reviewed by the appropriate Planning Agency and be stamped "APPROVED" OR "EXEMPT" prior to recording. County Zoning Administrator (843/255-2170) reviews Plats for unincorporated County properties. All others are handled by the Planning/Zoning department of the Municipality in which the property falls.
4. Original & one Copy required. Original Black Line on Bond . No Blue line, Vellum or Mylar. Copies may be Blue Line. Plat size may not exceed 8.5" X 14" if attached to Deed or Mortgage, nor exceed 24" X 36" if filed alone.
5. No changes may be made to graphic and annotative information except by surveyor who's seal & signature appear on the Plat. Additional info required for recording may be added by filer.
6. Composite Plats or Drawings are not accepted for recording.
B. PLATS & GRAPHICS AS ATTACHMENTS TO OTHER DOCUMENTS:
Although not required, a transmittal sheet is suggested with each Plat filing, which indicates the names under which the Plat should be filed in the Index to assist searchers. E.g., Name of Parties for whom Plat prepared, and name of Subdivision/Development.
1. PLAT BOOK - only Plats which meet County Ordinance No. 95-4 definition and provisions may be filed in this Book. EXCEPT, Engineering Drawings depicting Drainage Plans and such, may be accepted if they generally meet the Plat guidelines, and are signed and sealed by an Engineer licensed to practice in this State. Non-compliant graphics which are filed as an attachment to a compliant Plat may be filed. Horizontal Property Regime Floor Plans, may be filed in the Plat Book only as an attachment to a recordable Plat.
2. Plats which meet these Plat Recording requirements, or which are Filed by the Federal Government, State of South Carolina, or one of their Departments or Agencies, shall be accepted for recording as an attachment to any other recordable document.
3. GRAPHIC REPRESENTATIONS, AS ATTACHMENTS, which do not meet Plat recording guidelines (misc. drawings & sketches of whatever nature), and which are not referred to as "Plat" in the document to which attached, may be recorded as follows:
a) If NO narrative property description is contained in the parent document, and a compliant Plat is attached, the Plat may be referenced as the legal property description. HOWEVER, no reference should be made to other non-Plat graphic attachments as to their meeting the legal property description requirements, and a complete and accurate narrative property description must then be included in the parent document.
b) If a narrative property description is contained in the body of the document to which the non-Plat graphic is attached, NO reference should be made of the non-Plat attachment, except at required for compliance with applicable U.S. or S.C. law, such as the SC Horizontal Property Act (27-31-110).
c) If the appropriate Planning/Zoning regulatory agency (A.3., above) affixes their "APPROVED" stamp on the attached graphic, it may be filed as an attachment to an otherwise recordable document, but may not be referenced as part of the Legal Property Description in lieu of a narrative description and/or recordable Plat as defined above.
C. MINIMUM INFORMATION REQUIRED ON PLATS FOR RECORDING:
1. TITLE - Purpose of survey, e.g.:
a) Boundary & General Property Surveys
2. Location Map or Description of Location
b) Closing Loan/Mortgage Surveys - "For Mortgage Purposes Only"
c) Topographical & Tree Surveys - if meets all survey standards.
d) Property Description Survey (Non-graphic)
3. State, County/City where property located
4. Name of Person requesting the Survey, or Owner ("This survey prepared for _____________").
5. Date of Survey
6. Graphic and Numerical Scale, including Topo Interval (if topo lines depicted)
7. NORTH Arrow
8. Certification of Surveyor stating "Class" of Survey, e.g.:
"I hereby state that to the best of my knowledge, information and belief, the survey shown here-on was made in accordance with the requirements of the minimum standards manual for the practice of land surveying in South Carolina, and meets or exceeds the minimum requirements for a Class ____ survey as specified here-on; also, there are no visible encroachments or projections other than shown."
ADDITIONAL STATE :
9. Notation of existing monumentation.
10. Mortgage Plats must show all man-made improvements (see Part B of S.C. Min Stds for Surveying)
11. Surveyor's embossed Seal, Signature, Registration Number and Address
12. "S. C. Certificate of Authorization" seal on Surveys performed by or through a corporation, firm, association, partnership or other such entity, except Surveys performed by Surveyors practicing as an individual.
13. Tax District, Map, and Parcel Number
14. FEMA Flood Zone Lines must be annotated