Individuals convicted of DUI FAQS

Do I have to enroll in ADSAP if I am convicted of DUI?

Yes, within 30 days of the conviction. The South Carolina Department of Public Safety (SCDPS) will not consider reinstating your driver's license until it receives notification of your successful completion of ADSAP.

Where do I enroll in ADSAP?

You must contact any county alcohol drug abuse authority and tell them you need to enroll in ADSAP.

When should I contact ADSAP?

Immediately after you have been convicted for DUI.

What is involved in ADSAP?

After enrolling in the program, you will be assessed to determine the program areas that most likely contributed to your DUI. Goals you learn will be developed to address these areas. Education and /or treatment services will be provided to help you achieve your goals, thereby helping you reduce your risk of committing another DUI. Successful completion of the program isbased on whether you have reduced your risk of committing another DUI.

How long will it take me to complete ADSAP?

Because you will receive services based on individual needs, the time period for completion will vary. Generally, individuals complete ADSAP serivces by end of their suspension period; however, you must complete within one year of enrollment.

Is there a cost for ADSAP?

Yes. The cost for educational services provided through ADSAP is $500, while the cost for any treatment services required by program can cost up to $2,000. The total cost of all services cannot exceed $2,500.

May I drive while I am participating in ADSAP?

First time offenders who meet certain requirements may obtain a provisional license from the SCDPS and may drive on this license for a period not to exceed 6 months, provided they continue to participate in ADSAP. Multiple offenders need to contact the DMV regarding the alternative driver's license.

What are the requirements for a provisional license?

There are several:

  • You must enroll in ADSAP and make satisfactory progress.
  • You must have had a valid South Carolina license, at the time of your conviction.
  • Your DUI conviction must be the first within a 10 year period.
  • Your license must not be suspended for any other reason.
  • You must provide proof of financial responsibility (SR22 insurance) to the SCDPS.
  • You must pay a $100 fee to SCDPS.

What should I do if I move out of state after being convicted of DUI in SC?

Several things:

  • Contact a South Carolina ADSAP representative.
  • You must participate in the services recommended by your assessment.
  • You may complete these services in another state, but you must first contact the Interstate ADSAP Office at the Dorchester County & Drug Commission. That phone number is (843) 871-4790.

What should I do if I am convicted of DUI in South Carolina but have a driver's license from another state?

You must enroll in ADSAP and meet the SC ADSAP requirements.

May I obtain a S.C. provisional license if I have an out-of state driver's license?

You may be eligible for a S.C. provisional permit if you enroll in ADSAP, meet the provisional license requirements and maintain a valid out-of-state license.

Individuals whose license are suspended under ALR FAQS

What are the requirements for enrollment in ADSAP following Administrative License Revocation (ALR)?

There are several:

  • You must enroll in ADSAP and successfully complete the program. Your license may remain revoked until you have completed the program.
  • If you plan to contest the ALR, you will have 30 days from the notice of suspension to enroll in ADSAP, after 30 days the suspension remains in effect and an administrative hearing cannot be requested .
  • The Administrative Law Clerk will schedule an administrative hearing after receiving your hearing request.
  • If the suspension is sustained, you must enroll in ADSAP to regain your license.
  • If the suspension is rescinded, your license will be reinstated and any fees paid to ADSAP will be refund to you.

ADSAP Information Packet